Sunday 6 January 2013

Happiness is a choice

Live like you mean it
 
 

Isn't it just so great that the best things in life are FREE!!  I just loved the picture above when I saw it today.  You can be the poorest of poor but you need no money to be able to enjoy the best things in life, I think that's just grand!

One of the best things in life that is free is happiness.  Last year when I was undergoing my chemotherapy for breast cancer I often had people say to me 'Sam, you are such an inspiration to me' which I really appreciated but there was a reason that they said that.  The reason that they said this was because whenever they saw me I always seemed relatively happy considering the circumstances I was in.  I chose to be happy which I felt made a huge difference to how quickly I healed.  I am by no means saying that every day I was laughing and dancing around the room having a party, there were some days when I felt like I'd rather crawl into a hole and never come out again.  There were days when all I wanted to do was ly in bed and cry all day.  There were days when I looked in the mirror and didn't like what I was seeing.  But for the majority of the time I chose to be happy.

Happiness is a decision that we make and it can't be taken away from us and no one else can make it for us.  Each one of us gets to choose, every single moment of every day, whether or not we want to be happy.  It's the same as choosing which clothes to wear in the morning, or what to eat for breakfast.  Researchers have determined that happy people have stronger immune systems, live longer, feel better and are more productive.  So why not choose to be happy?  I especially like the part about a 'stronger immune system' which is vitally important when you are healing from chemotherapy especially.  In fact its important to have a strong immune system ALL the time if you want to live a healthy, long and happy life.

So...how can we bring more happiness into our lives for 2013?

Take time out for yourself, exercise, feel gratitude.  Do something new, laugh, smile.  Being with people that you love.  Smell the flowers when you go for a walk next, achieve a goal.  Feel organised, read your favourite magazine, share a meal with the people that you love.  Soak up some sun.  Dance.  Do something that engages you and that you are passionate about.

I loved a short little quote that I saw in KiKi the other day, it went like this:

"you can never be too happy".  Isn't that just great!  You are allowed to be as happy as you like...hooray!

Lets make 2013 the year of abundant happiness...cause everyone deserves to be happy.

"because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing."

No comments:

Post a Comment