Sunday 13 January 2013

Lentil, kumura & watercress soup


I thought it was time for another recipe.  This recipe is from Annabel Langbein's book 'Free Range in the city' which I got for Christmas last year.  I have found many of her recipes not only easy but nutritious too especially this soup recipe which is filled with anti-cancer fighting properties.  Research suggests that watercress (which is a cruciferous veggie) can be protectant against all types of cancers especially breast cancer.  So before I carry on too much, here is the recipe:-

LENTIL, KUMURA & WATERCRESS SOUP

Boil 1 cup of lentils in unsalted water for 10 minutes (or use two cans of lentils).  Drain and set aside.  Heat 3 tbsp olive oil in a large pot and add 2 diced medium onions, 2 crushed cloves garlic, the finely grated zest of 1 lemon and 2 tbsp grated fresh ginger.  Cook over a medium heat until onion is softened but not browned.  Add lentils, 3 medium peeled and diced kumara (750g), 2 litres veggie stock, 2 tbsp soy sauce and 1 tbsp manuka honey.  Cover and simmer until kumara is tender (about 25mins).  Use a hand held blender stick and puree half of the soup and return it back to the pot (I just pureed straight into the pot).  Just before serving, add 4 handfuls of watercress leaves and 3 tbsp lemon juice.  Season to taste and serve at once.  Serves 6.


Remember if you don't have all the ingredients don't let it put you off making the dish.  I didnt have watercress last time I made this dish, so substituted it for spinach.  If you don't have a hand held blender then dont worry about blending half the soup before serving.  The ginger, lemons, onions and greens are all SO great for excellent health and a balanced system.

I'm having problems uploading photos at the moment so was unable to add a picture to this post, hopefully I will have it sorted soon.

Till next time, Eat Smart Live Smart xxooxx

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yum! Do you think it would be nice cold? Too hot here at the mo to eat warm soup! Thanks Sam! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I must say I have not tried it cold but I don't think it will be very nice cold. Perhaps stick to your salads during the hot summer months and store this recipe away for when Jack Frost pays his next visit :-) xx

      Delete