Friday 30 November 2012

i have woken from my daze

Over the last week i have been so excited about coming across this Nutrition School in the States.  Whether or not you believe in God or perhaps that the Universe attracts things to you instead...I believe that i came across this school which seems perfect for me and what i want to do in the future  and that God lead me to it for a specific reason.

I have been pondering the last few weeks/months about how i'd like to turn my Cancer experience into a positive and how i could possibly thrive out of this experience.  At first i thought i'd like to become a nutritionist/dietitian and then i thought i'd like to become a Personal Trainer in a gym and do some nutrition papers on the side to satisfy my interest with what we put into our bodies is what we get out.  I also had a think about the fact that im done with all of my treatment...what is the next step to ensure that this disease never comes back again?  Surely i can't completely go back to my old ways of thinking and doing...something HAS to change if i want to give myself the best possible chance of a complete healing.  I thought about putting a support team in place i.e. a reputable nutritionist to go to every few months, a good acupuncturist, someone that could give me a good massage on a regular basis and a yoga class that i enjoy going to.  I believe we all should have a good support team in place whether or not we are cronically ill or not should we wish to always be at our best....well why not....athletes have support teams in place to be at their best so why don't we as individuals who are living life have our own individualised support teams that ensure we are always performing at our best...after all...didnt most of our mothers always tell us 'life is never easy'...so why not build a network of people around you who knows their stuff to help and guide you through!
I have gathered from all the reading i have done that ultimate wellness doesn't just come from a pill or just from exercise or just from eating right...ultimate and overall wellness comes from having your mind, body and spirit all in fine tune and all in the same place.  So me JUST becoming a nutritionist didn't quite sit right with me or me JUST becoming a Personal Trainer didn't sit right with me either.  I then came across something that i've never heard of before a 'Health Coach'.  Health Coaches seem to be becoming more and more popular according to statistics  and especially in an age where everything is done hard and fast and most of us feel like we are burning the candle at both ends.  It seems that a health coach is someone that you can go to for guidance on how to live a healthier, cleaner (becoming more aware of all the toxins we are ingesting on a daily basis), greener life and someone that will provide you with tools to keep yourself motivated in whatever you may be doing, help with your confidence and help you to unlock potential inside of you that you never thought you had.  A Health Coach is also someone that is in the know about who are the best reputable chiros in town, where is a good health food shop, what are good books to read if i need some encouragement or need to do some soul searching etc etc.  Healthy Coaches can even teach you how to cook healthy meals for your family that are not only good for you but tasty too.  You get all these things out of a health coach in one place...how fantastic is that...we have done the research for you on what is best for you and what is going to keep you feeling and looking and functioning at your best.  Anyway...so i have decided that i'd like to study to become a health coach.  Not only to help myself after having cancer but i'm also passionate about getting the message out there that health is a 360 degree approach and not just a one sided approach as a lot of us think it is.  We all too often look at people that complete marathons or complete iron mans and our first thought is 'wow they must be super healthy' but that is most of the time not true...yes they may be fit physically but what is their mental health like and what are their stress levels like.  If we want to be truly healthy we need to look at a lot of different aspects of our health.  I for one am a prime example to myself and to others of someone that thought they were healthy but in fact that was simply not the case.  A month before i was diagnosed with aggressive Stage 2 breast cancer i had just run my first half marathon...why wouldn't i be the picture of health.  But the sad truth was that  wasn't healthy AT ALL...i was infact a ticking time bomb at the age of 33!  And for me my cancer diagnosis was my biggest wake up call and made me ask the question 'How on earth could i have cancer when i'm so healthy' and i believe that i have the answer  and the answer is 'i didn't approach my health from a 360 point of view, i approached it just from an exercise and a mediocre diet point of view'.   I believe that so many people think of health in this way i.e. one sided.  I am so excited about certifying myself as a health coach and starting to get my message out there.  I can only imagine how the need for health coaches will become more and more prevalent as our lives get busier and busier and we get sicker and sicker in our modern day in age.

So i know i'm passionate about this health coach malarkey because i can't stop thinking about it, i'm so very very excited and i want to get started straight away but i'm cautious as im still very much healing from my own cancer and still pretty fragile physically and to an extent mentally too.  I can't get to sleep at night cause thats all i can think about...i even got up at 5am this morning to listen to a webanar which was being streamed live in New York about the nutrition school and what they could do for me and my life coach aspirations.

I have also been coming across inspirational sayings on a daily basis that resonate with me and stick in my mind which is really helping me with my fear of not succeeding as a health coach and perhaps eradicating those demons inside of me that keep on saying 'you won't be any good, or you are not clever enough to be a health coach'.  I always remember reading one day that nothing is ever accomplished without overcoming fear and i need to remind myself of that daily when i'm thinking about this big change in my life.  Here are a few quotes/affirmations that I have been reading lately which i find inspiring:-
"you have the ability to do amazing things with your life"
"dont compare your beginnings with someone elses middle"
"we must be willing to let go of the life we've planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us"
"reminder: you have the ability to do amazing things with your life"
"whats considered impossible is just a consensus of outdated beliefs" - Bernie S. Siegel MD


4 comments:

  1. Wow. This is a really big step that you're contemplating. Just make sure that you don't go at it too hard and fast until you are feeling a bit more recovered. It all sounds very exciting thoug. Can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sam. Thanks for visiting my blog. Do you follow Jessica Ainscough? The Institute of Integrative Nutrition also has a great blog. I am 3/4 of the way through the course to become a health coach and I would thoroughly recommend it. It has been life changing. I was very well read in the area of healthy diet and lifestyle, but I have learnt so much through studying with the school. Feel free to email any questions to me about the course: juliemaloneyhealthcoach@gmail.com wishing you all the best. Funny- I found out about IIN just after Christmas last year and I had a similar reaction to you. I was so excited. I felt like I had found my purpose in life and it was all I could think about. In studying with IIN I have only become more excited. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam, one more thing.....IIN have lots of discounts through the year with the course. Not long ago they had 50% off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And remember: the power of thought is creative, and you are the thinker. So, whatever you think, you can create... lots of love to you, my inspiring friend! Looking forward to long chats when I am back in the hood!!! Take care, self-nourish, be present, go slow, smell the roses and just be. Mwah x

    ReplyDelete