Tuesday 27 November 2012

How to stick to your health regime when you go away

This past w'end was one of those w'ends which you hang out for and dream of when you a busy mother of 2.  I went away for 1 night with my very best friend from South Africa whom now lives in Australia.  The weather was great too which helped us to enjoy ourselves.  Before you become a mother you take for granted all the little things like being able to sit down for more than 5mins without being clambered upon, being able to lose yourself in your thoughts for a few minutes without being interrupted, being able to go to the toilet without being disturbed...things like that, you get my drift.  So this w'end i could be totally selfish and just enjoy me being me which was wonderful and very nourishing for the soul.

With my new health regime that i'm on going away can sometimes be tricky.  Your blender/juicer are not on hand and you have to be prepared and organised if you want to have healthy snacks at your finger tips and stick to your healthy way of eating (note i have not used the word 'diet' as i don't see my new way of eating as a 'diet' as such, more a lifestyle change and healthier way of eating).  It did feel a wee bit daunting wondering what i'd take with me, but i've learnt that if you are organised and plan ahead then you will be fine.  Its strange because some people may think 'why not give yourself the w'end off to eat what you like and then go back to your healthy eating once you get back'...but thats not the way i think anymore, that used to be the way i thought.  In the very beginning i changed my diet because i was scared of the cancer coming back and believed that healthy eating habits would reduce my chances of recurrence...but i've changed my perspective and now look at my healthy eating habits as a way of nourishing someone that i love i.e. me!  I love myself and that is why i chose food that is for the most only going to benefit my body not put it under strain.
So before i left i made myself an extra large green smoothie and poured it into a few glass jars (glass because plastic can leach chemicals especially if its not BPA free) to have during the day on my trip and the next day (they will last about maximum 24hrs before they oxidise).  Smoothies make great snacks and they are packed with delicious ingredients.  I packed that into a small chilly bag along with a few tomatoes, raw carrots, apples and a few home made muesli slices that i had made during the week.  I also had a little tupperware of raw unsalted nuts which i took along in my handbag.  I found that i was never hungry or in a position where i felt i didn't have anything to eat which was healthy.
When we got over to Akaroa we booked a restaurant for the evening.  I mentioned to them that i was 'vegan' and did they have anything on their menu for vegans and they said that another customer who was dining at their restaurant that evening had phoned ahead to order a vegan meal and that i could have the other half of their meal...i was so stoked about that!  You see...all it requires is a bit of planning and you can get what you want.  I have begun to notice that there are a lot of food choices out there if you only look.  When i first decided to change my diet i was really scared that i may be living on carrot sticks and lettuce leaves for the rest of my life but with a bit of research i have discovered this whole new exciting world of health foods that are not only good for you but tasty too.  People in restaurants seem to be very understanding and accommodating and go out of their way to tailor a meal to your dietary requirements.  I believe that as more and more people in this world take charge of their own health that there will be more demand for 'real food' and that 'real food' will be easier to access as time goes on...not that its too hard now, but it will become more of the norm.
My next challenge will be when we go away for two nights next w'end to a remote bach on the peninsula where there are no shops that are easily accessible.  I will have to be sure i'm well prepared for that.  I will let you know how i get on.

No comments:

Post a Comment