Monday 19 November 2012

Green movember

So this is me with my green mo!  I'm not sure if 'movember' is celebrated throughout the world but in New Zealand its quite a big thing!  On the 1st November a lot of the males in NZ put their razor away in the cupboard for the whole month of November and start growing a mo!  There is a competition for the best 'mo' and money is raised and so forth.  Since i'm female and can't grow a mo (thank goodness) i thought i'd grow a temporary green mo!  I did this for two reasons...firstly so i could feel like i'm part of movember (even if just for 10secs until i lick my lips) and also to show you that i made my very own green smoothie today for the first time!  I have invested in an industrial grade blender called an Omni Blender. This is a cheaper version of the Vitamix which most people know about but can do pretty much the same thing but at a cheaper price! This baby can cut, chop, blend you name it!...It can make smoothies, soups, purees, sauces, ice-cream, nut butters and the list goes on. The main reason why i bought it was to make my green 'super smoothies' but also to make raw desserts which i'm experimenting with at the moment.  The reason why i'm excited about 'green' smoothies in particular is because they contain vast amounts of phytochemicals.  Phytochemicals are very important in our diet.
It was the ancient Chinese that thousands of years ago stated “Food is medicine”. Today it is a modern science that has found out that one of most important parts of our living raw foods are called phytochemicals.
Only a super powerful blender can break open the cells to release the phytochemicals. Even prolonged chewing does not do it well.
Phytochemicals for cancer prevention are widely recommended by health consultants and researchers - most people just don't get enough raw foods, which is the best source of natural phytochemicals.
So there you have it!  I tried out one of my green smoothies on my youngest child who is only two years old...this was the ultimate test on taste...he took a sip...screwed up his face and promptly said 'poo wee mama'....haa, haa!...i guess i have some work to do to get my kids to drink my green smoothies!  They will happliy drink my berry smoothies which are filled with fruit which is of course good too.  I actually have my daughter who is 5 drinking my vegge juices which i make myself with my juicer (this is where the juice is extracted from the vegetable) and these are very good for you too, so i can't complain...baby steps i hear myself saying.

The second thing i did with my blender was make a raw dessert which was a berry cheesecake!  It was a cheesecake made with no dairy or sugar...yes you heard right...it was delicious!  Once again...it had the ultimate test when i took it to a friend's bbq and left it on the table for people to have a piece of.  By the end of the bbq there was only 3 slices left and everyone i talked to said they liked it a lot (i told them to tell the truth and i wouldn't be offended if they didn't like it).  The cheesecake was based on ground up cashew nuts for the base instead of biscuits and the filling was berries and cacao butter,coconut oil, manuka honey etc etc...i can't remember everything that went into it but i what i can tell you is that it was raw and good for you and VERY yummie!  So that is the first of many experiments with my Omni blender. 
Since my diet is mainly plant based and raw i don't want to feel like i'm missing out on anything, so its my mission over the next few months/years to find the best possible recipes/restaurants/healthy food stores etc etc to make my new way of eating as easy as possible.

2 comments:

  1. Reminds me of the time you went back to NZ armed with no less than two blenders or juicers which you had bought in Singapore. I shall expect you to be really proficient in making tasty healthy foods/drinks when I come to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/green-mustache-for-movember/

    ReplyDelete