Sunday 14 October 2012

So its Sunday evening and i'm starting to think about work tomorrow...boo!  No not really...i'm actually enjoying the normality of work at the moment...who would have thought eh?
Its a lovely evening outside...feels like summer...the clocks went fwd a few weeks ago so we got  more daylight in the evening...just love that!
We had a good morning with the kids down at Christchurch RFC...that is Nick's rugby club.  Westpac put on a training day for the kids...a few of the All Blacks came down and helped out and signed t-shirts and they put on a feed for the kids and there was a face painter and a clown doing balloons etc...was fun!  I even got my pic with Ritchie McCaw!...i got into quite a state and was all flushed in the face and nervous when i went to go sit next to him...i know he is famous and all but its not like a follow him greatly and dream about him every day etc etc so thought i'd be pretty cool sitting next to him but i must say i was rather flustered!  Sophie got Sophie Pascoe to sign a poster for her..she is a para-olympic gold medalist in case you didn't know :-)
I took the kids swimming in the arvo at Graham Condon.  There were two young girls there that both had shaved heads...i walked past them and they asked me if i shaved my head for someone that i know has cancer...so i said no that i had cancer an they immediately looked sympathetically at me.  Turns out that they are sisters and one of the sisters has lymphoma cancer and is starting her chemo next week.  They also said 'cancer is everywhere' which i thought was an interesting comment.  They obviously know  a lot of people that have or have had cancer.  its true though, i do feel that its all around us even more so than ever...of course i'm more intuned with it cause i have it but something is going on in this modern day in age which is causing us to get cancer younger and younger.  I strongly believe that its got a lot to do with what we are eating and also all the pollutants/chemicals we are ingesting that our compromised immune systems are not coping with.  I start to wonder how much cancer will be around when my kids have their kids...i shudder to think.  One of the girls at the pool said to me that her friend died a few weeks ago from breast   cancer at  the age of 32...i wondered why she told me that after i had just told her i had breast cancer...people can say silly things sometimes.  She also said it infront of my daughter Sophie which was VERY silly...luckily she didn't seem to react which was lucky.  Kids of course don't understand the severity of cancer...Sophie uses the word like any other word in her vocabulary.  Like the other day when i was at the check out at the grocery store and out of no where she says to the lady at the till "my mum has breast cancer" with a big smile on her face.  I guess its good that she doesn't understand the severity of it all.  Then tonight when we were driving home and we had ordered in pizzas which were sitting on Sophie's lap and Sophie said that she wrote on the boxes who's pizza was who's and she said she wrote 'mum' on my pizza box and cancer next to my name.  Of course she didn't do it to be mean but thats just naturally what she obviously does.  She just uses the word flipantly which i guess is good.
I slept in until 10:30 this morning...i was just feeling so exhausted.  I feel better for it this afternoon though.  I'm wondering how i'm going to go at work tomorrow...this will be the first week at work when i'm feeling that the fatigue is affecting me.  Anyway...here's to a good week ahead no matter what :-)
PS: Forgot to mention that i had a surprise when i went to the toilet today...got my period!  First time in 6mnths!  Today is about 7wks since chemo ended...so my cycle seems to be coming back to normal already.  I'm sure i read somewhere a while ago that the quicker your period comes back after chemo the less effective chemo has been?  Yeah its good to know your system is starting to work properly again but if what i think i read is true then i'm not so happy to get my period so soon again.  I'm going to confirm with the oncologist when i see him on Tuesday and set the record straight.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Sam. I am really so proud of you. I thought I was the only one in the family who could write, but I now see that I have a close rival. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete